Tuesday 27 May 2014

Pink Gingko

Firstly, can I just say a big thank you for all the lovely comments left on my blog recently, I've been quite astounded, what a lovely bunch of creative people you are out there.

Anyway without further ado Pink Gingko....



Craft Stampers 'Take it Make it' challenge this month is to include potato printing! I don't have any lino cutting tools so after a bit of a think I dug out some Gingko leaf cutters I had from when I made sugar flowers (another occasional creative life). I thought they would work for petals of a flower. Worked really well placing the cutter in the potato and then cutting away the outside.


I'd originally thought of California poppies in red and orange but the paint I used didn't work for me so after a few attempts, I ended up using some Luminarte acrylic silk glaze in 'Love Struck' and Ginger flower' (it has a lovely shimmer). As you can see the the potato started to dry out and crack which I then enhanced to look like veins in the petal.


I stamped the large paler petals first, then masked them off whilst I used the sequin waste stamp from The Artistic Stamper as a background. I've used antique linen DI and before stamping just softened the edges of the impression. I then added the remaining flowers, once dry I drew in the stems and veins in black and added a few gold veins to the larger flowers. The background is DI with a little old paper and tiny bit of walnut stain around the edge and some water spritzing. 


The sentiment is from a much used and loved Lin brown set and I felt the font lent itself to placing centrally at the base in the style of old prints of flowers with the botanical name at the bottom. The shimmery colour doesn't quite show up but hopefully you can see the texture. I did enjoy doing this though potatoes can be a bit difficult to hold properly for stamping! 
I am also entering this in the Artistic Stamper creative team blog challenge  'In the Garden'  and Country View crafts challenge 'Natures Glories'. Thanks so much for visiting. 

19 comments:

  1. Stunning Ruth,so gorgeous to look at. Love those colours,are those paints easy to use as they look wonderfully rich in colour?

    By the way re nice comments. As you produce such lovely eye candy on your blog you deserve every comment you get! Fingers crossed for you in the competitions,a winner for sure!

    Hope you giving a great day.
    Donna.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna thank you, yes they are a lovely consistency, I think as they are a glaze they have a translucent quality, really like them for certain projects x

      Delete
    2. Hi Ruth, congrats to you on this winning entry! I knew this would be a winner as soon as I saw it,told you so : )

      Hugs,Donna.x

      Delete
    3. Thanks Donna, much appreciated x

      Delete
  2. Hi Ruth, This is beautifully made and I would never have guessed from the first photograph it was a homemade potato stamp you had used. Super work.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with us at The Artistic Stamper Ruth.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is simply stunnning Ruth .... your potato stamps are fab and the results are amazing. Love the colours. Thanks for joining in with the Craft Stamper Take It Make It Challenge ... good luck! Linda xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this is brilliant! So clever to make the stamps like that and the end result is amazing! Love this to bits!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking! I may have to go out and buy ginkgo cutters ;) I love how you doubled the petals on the larger flowers and the sequin waste stamped background is perfect. Thanks for joining in with Take It Make It challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever way to cut the design out! You'd never guess it was a potato. The flowers are lovely, they almost look like pressed blossoms. Very beautiful. Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a stunning make, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! This is gorgeous! Thank you for stopping by my little blog leaving a comment, I. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruth...your card is absolutely gorgeous. I so love your Gingko cutters. Your design is wonderful and the background against your bright flowers are striking. I also love your sentiment. It's perfect for your design. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment, too. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow stunning take on the challenge Ruth, great idea!
    Thanks for joining the fun for the Take it Make it challenge. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful make the colours are just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing with us at the Take It Make It Challenge. Elizabeth x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning and so inventive! Love the colors and the delicate flowers! Thank you for joining the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Thank you for joining in with The Artistic Stamper challenge this month :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG -saw your card over at Shirley -Bee's and had to come over....what a master piece - swoon LOVE it! I love Ginko leaves - Ginko cookie cutter - I need one.....

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.