Saturday 20 February 2016

Glue & Wax

Hi everyone, following on from my last post I've been exploring all things encaustic. There are so many techniques you can use with wax and I've been trying things out guided by the resource which is You Tube and my 'bible' ...The Whole Ball of Wax by Patricia Baldwin Seggebruch. I'm sharing a finished piece with you tonight and also entering it in the current PaperArtsy challenge which of course is Wax!


As there are many resources available and explanations along with safety information would take a long time, I'm just giving brief information on the technique.

It's a 10cm square piece of wood and I've used one of Lin Brown's new stencils to create this. I used white glue through the stencil before some burning took place with a recently purchased inexpensive cooks blow torch! There's one coat of encaustic medium on the piece and the colouring has been done using pan pastels before fusing. A final tickle of treasure gold completes the piece.


 I've created several technique pieces which  might also be called works in progress and thought I'd share them with you over the next week.

Thanks as always for stopping by and enjoy your weekend.

22 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely fabulous Ruth. Really effective! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous Ruth! Love the fabulous rich colour from the burning and this sounds like a very interesting technique.......I'd probably set my desk on fire, lol! The contrast of texture from the glue and the smooth wax is lovely.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely fantastic Ruth, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh i have one of those cooks torches, not sure i should be set loose with it though!

    Amazing stuff as always Ruth! :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, Ruth!! Incredible depth from the burning --- not sure I am ready for that, given the state of my crafting area - but fabulous inspiration!! Look forward to seeing more of this! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is really unique, and there is such great depth of color. Blow torch in the Closet...I think NOT! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super depth from the fusing! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, white glue, -I would never have guessed it was useful for stenciling dear Ruth, giving a great texture, when burning the glue...and then the coloring giving so much life to it with the wax.
    A wonderful, stunning new piece.
    Dorthe, xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very adventurous Ruth, white glue ----- cooks blow torch ---- hmmm, very brave, but I
    LOVE the end result X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Ruth! The blow torch has created a brilliant effect - I don't think hubby would be happy with me trying this though!! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely crustilicious Ruth! Love it! Sounds a bit dangerous for me though! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow this is fabulous Ruth and loving the grungy look to it. Hope to see you again soon
    x catherine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exquisite! The texture is incredible and the colours, so beautiful.
    A true work of artistry.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous texture Ruth, love it. Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ruth, this is so very cool and I really appreciate the information! Great project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful piece of art, Ruth! I love the texture and deep, rich colour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Ruth! This piece is so intriguing! I can't wait to see more of your "unfinished " pieces! That tickle of gold is perfect! I love the richness the burn gives this-pure yumminess all around!
    hugs,Jackie xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. A truly fabulous piece of art Ruth - love this! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.