Thursday 7 April 2016

From Trash to Treasure at Stamps and Stencils

Hi everyone, welcome to our next challenge over at Stamps and Stencils. It's the turn of the very talented Autumn to host and here in her own words is the new theme.

 Don't we all love a good upcycled project?  This month we'd love to see how you take something that you'd normally discard and give it new life in your art.  Whether it's glamorized boxes, Styrofoam turned into a stamp, packaging that's been die cut, or another altered idea you have.  Bring on your best mixed media repurposing!  We can't wait to see what you come up!  Don't forget to use stamps or stencils in your project.


Some of you may remember me altering some tiny tins in the past, the first had a sewing theme and the second had a flower and butterfly theme. Towards the end of last year I was lucky enough to find another tin and I have been wanting to alter it in a Steampunk style ever since but never quite got around to it...until now. What a perfect opportunity to turn trash into treasure and at the same time complete my trio of tiny tins.


I've explained how I've prepared the tins in my previous posts but just wanted to show you their size.


The ingredients.


I used distress and archival inks to create the inserts. Some tissue tape and vintage photo distress embossing powder created the card band for the outside.


Crunchy wax Kraft paper was put through an embossing folder and then I used treasure gold to create a patina.


Then it was just a case of layering up inked, gilded and rusted embellishments until I was happy. The insides.


Quite a few layers in the base.


A side view


and finally with the lid back on hiding it's contents.


To finish I thought I'd share the trio with you. A reflection of some of my favourite subjects all with a vintage flavour.


As it is a Steampunk tin I'm also going to take the opportunity to join in with SanDee&amelie's Steampunk April challenge. 'Anything Goes' - Steampunk/Industrial

Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to hop across to see what the rest of the talented design team have created to inspire you. Can't wait to see what you'll turn into treasure!

26 comments:

  1. These are amazing ruth and you made it look so easy. Wow. Love them. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous projects, Ruth! That steampunk one is my favourite! Amazing step by step! Hugs! Branka xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, I have to say I think that steampunk one is my favorite! Love those finishes, and that wing nut stole my heart! Gorgeous up-do! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your boxes are amazing Ruth, you made them so very special, both out-and inside. The rusted gears are beautiful, and love the butterfly,-and sewing box, too.
    Dorthe, xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ruth, I could not love these any more. Your favorite things are some of my favorite things as well. This tin is a show-stopper. I love the side view, what a pretty wrap! Such thoughtful details. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  6. So so cute!! I love your tiny tins. Steampunk style gets me every time, and the others are fabulous too. so much detail on such a dinky little tin, love it ! love them all ! Toni x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous little tin Ruth ! The trio look wonderful together and they all have your eye for attention to detail. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a Fabulous idea Ruth and such a great project. I just love the look of it and the theme you chose to do with it
    X catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. You never fail to impress Ruth! The steampunk tin is absolutely fantastic (I love the bare tin too!) with the wonderful rusting, the lovely little additions and finishing off the inside is just the icing on the cake. Stunning work and the three tins look delightful together! Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. all boxes are just beutiful, love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow!!!! Love the way in which you have altered these fabulous little tins Ruth...........totally stunning and a great step by step too

    Best wishes
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, I can't believe how small the tin is Ruth but your makeover is wonderful! Love all the rusty, grungy pieces on and inside the tin and side by side with the other two you have a fabulous little display.

    Hugs
    Lesley Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really fantastic rustic elements, great combination and beautiful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ruth!! Outstanding!! Gosh, you really know how to add the elements together to bring the perfect marriage in your finished piece! I revisited the other two tins to drool over those as well~ but I must say this steampunk is my favorite!! Totally industrial and cool!!
    hugs, Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant Ruth!!! Perfect composition, just love it. Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many wonderful bits and pieces packed into such a small space. I love your rusty, industrial look and the placement of all the elements is perfect. Also love the other versions.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  17. And a true treasure it is now!!! Wow!
    I love the stamps you have used (they are some of my favourite stamp sets too) and the colours you have chosen to upcycle your box. A great rusty look with awesome texture!
    Thank you so much for playing along with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just so cool. I really love looking at them...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very good what you did with the little box, so much lovely details. I love it!
    Greetings
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful little tin - I love it! Love your rust and all of the steampunk detail..... fabulous! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just have to say that I've been poking around on your blog for a bit and think you are soooooo talented! Happy to be your newest follower! Would love for you to come for a visit to my blog sometime, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Scrumptious - inside and out! Love the subtle colour tones and great rusty textures. Entirely charming!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow Ruth! These are incredibly beautiful! Such fabulous textures - I never know where to go with Steampunk - I know where to look for inspiration now! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved your Steampunk Style take on the Box. Its so pretty.Textures were just jaw dropping .. Awesome is the word for it !

    ReplyDelete

It would be lovely to read any comments left, I really appreciate them all. Thank you so much for taking the time to drop by.